From Swapna Swapna <talktoswa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implement Custom Aggregate Functions in Phoenix
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2016 01:49:20 GMT
Yes, we do have support UPPER and LOWER. I just provided as an example to
refer to UDF.

For custom UDF's, i understand that we can go ahead and create custom UDF
jar.

but how do we register that function?

As per the blog, i found the below lines:

*Finally, we'll need to register our new function. For this, you'll need to
edit the ExpressionType enum and include your new built-in function.
There's room for improvement here to allow registration of user defined
functions outside of the phoenix jar. However, you'd need to be able to
ensure your class is available on the HBase server class path since this
will be executed on the server side at runtime.*

 Does that mean, to register my custom function, i should edit the
*ExpressionType
enum *exists in Phoenix and rebuild the *phoenix jar?*

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:17 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
wrote:

> No, custom UDFs can be added dynamically as described here:
> https://phoenix.apache.org/udf.html. No need to re-build Phoenix. It's
> just custom aggregates that would require rebuilding.
>
> FYI, we have support for UPPER and LOWER already.
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Swapna Swapna <talktoswapna@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you James for swift response.
>>
>> is the process (adding to phoenix-core and rebuild the jar)  remains the
>> same for custom UDF's as well  (like as for custom aggregate functions)?
>>
>> ex: we have UDF's like  UPPER, LOWER ,etc
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Swapna,
>>> We don't support custom aggregate functions, only scalar functions
>>> (see PHOENIX-2069). For a custom aggregate function, you'd need to add them
>>> to phoenix-core and rebuild the jar. We're open to adding them to the code
>>> base if they're general enough. That's how FIRST_VALUE, LAST_VALUE, and
>>> NTH_VALUE made it in.
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

UDFs.