From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix table is inaccessible...
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:17:54 GMT
Saurabh,
Based on the stack trace and the ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, you're
definitely hitting some kind of bug. It looks like when the server is
attempting to load the metadata for the index on your table, it's unable to
do so. Would it be possible to get your CREATE TABLE statement and your
CREATE INDEX statement to see if we can reproduce this on our recent 4.7.0
release? Looks you're three releases behind being on 4.4 - that's a lot of
bug fixes you're missing.

A couple of questions to see if we can narrow down the issue:
- What has been the life cycle of the table and index? Are you mapping to
an existing HBase table, or was the data all created through Phoenix APIs?
Did you do any manual deletions of rows from the SYSTEM.CATALOG table?
- When you initially created the index, did it function correctly or did
you immediately run into this issue?
- How much data was already in the table when you created the secondary
- Does bouncing your cluster and client have any impact?

If this isn't a transient issue, to recover, you may need to drop your
SYSTEM.CATALOG table from the HBase shell and re-run your DDL statements.
This won't impact your data - when you re-issue your CREATE TABLE
statement, Phoenix will bind to the existing HBase table it finds. Note
that it will try to create new empty KeyValues for each row, though (which
could take some time depending on how much data you have, but won't hurt
anything). To prevent this, you can set the CurrentSCN property in the URL
or as a connection property to a long, Epoch timestamp value that's smaller
than any of your existing data on the connection where you're issuing the
CREATE TABLE statement. See this[1] FAQ for more on that. Your indexes will
then need to be recreated - I'd recommend just giving them different names
so that the existing index tables aren't re-used.

HTH,

    James

[1]
https://phoenix.apache.org/faq.html#Can_phoenix_work_on_tables_with_arbitrary_timestamp_as_flexible_as_HBase_API