From "Cox, Jonathan A" <ja...@sandia.gov>
Subject RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: TEXT Data type in Phoenix?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2016 23:51:14 GMT
Sergey,

Thanks for the tip. Is there any real performance reason (memory or speed) to use a pre-defined
length for VARCHAR? Or is it really all the same under the hood?

-Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: sergey.soldatov@gmail.com [mailto:sergey.soldatov@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Sergey Soldatov
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:38 PM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: TEXT Data type in Phoenix?

Jon,
It seems that documentation is a bit outdated. VARCHAR supports exactly what you want:
create table x (id bigint primary key, x varchar); upsert into x values (1, "..... (a lot
of text there) " );
0: jdbc:phoenix:localhost> select length(x) from x;
| LENGTH(X)  |
| 1219       |
1 row selected (0.009 seconds)

Thanks,