From "Thangamani, Arun" <Arun.Thangam...@cdk.com>
Subject Re: Write path blocked by MetaDataEndpoint acquiring region lock
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2016 05:14:29 GMT
Sorry I had pressed Control + Enter a little earlier than I wanted to, corrections inline.
Thanks

From: "Thangamani, Arun" <Arun.Thangamani@cdk.com<mailto:Arun.Thangamani@cdk.com>>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 8:38 PM
To: "user@phoenix.apache.org<mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>" <user@phoenix.apache.org<mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>>
Cc: James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org<mailto:jamestaylor@apache.org>>, Lars
Hofhansl <larsh@apache.org<mailto:larsh@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Write path blocked by MetaDataEndpoint acquiring region lock

Hey Nick,

Looks like you are failing to find your table in meta data cache, if you don’t find it in
the meta data cache, we end up rebuilding the metadata from both the SYSTEM.CATALOG and SYSTEM.STATS
tables.
The rebuilding process for the meta data is a scan on both the tables.

So, we will end up going to zookeeper to find the region and execute the scan on the region,
it is an expensive operation, that explains the calls to a specific region server and zookeeper

Similar thing happens in PHOENIX-2607, but that is specifiically related to timestamps, if
the client timestamp is less than or equal to the stats timestamp of the table, we will end
up doing the above rebuilding process repeatedly for every batch of insert from PhoenixMapReduceUtil
(Batch size default is 1000 rows). I don’t believe you have a timestamp issue, but looks
like you have the same repeated lookups and related scans for rebuilding that happen in PHOENIX-2607

James has suggested a workaround for the meta data cache refresh using UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY
variable while defining the table, and it will probably help  (we are trying it out for timestamp
issue)

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Arun

Please look at the following lines in MetadataCacheImpl
private PTable doGetTable(byte[] key, long clientTimeStamp, RowLock rowLock) throws IOException,
SQLException {

    ImmutableBytesPtr cacheKey = new ImmutableBytesPtr(key);
    Cache<ImmutableBytesPtr, PMetaDataEntity> metaDataCache =
            GlobalCache.getInstance(this.env).getMetaDataCache();
    PTable table = (PTable)metaDataCache.getIfPresent(cacheKey);
    // We only cache the latest, so we'll end up building the table with every call if the
    // client connection has specified an SCN.
    // TODO: If we indicate to the client that we're returning an older version, but there's
    // newer version available, the client
    // can safely not call this, since we only allow modifications to the latest.
    if (table != null && table.getTimeStamp() < clientTimeStamp) {
        // Table on client is up-to-date with table on server, so just return
        if (isTableDeleted(table)) {
            return null;
        }
        return table;
    }
    // Ask Lars about the expense of this call - if we don't take the lock, we still won't
get
    // partial results
    // get the co-processor environment
    // TODO: check that key is within region.getStartKey() and region.getEndKey()
    // and return special code to force client to lookup region from meta.
    Region region = env.getRegion();
    /*
     * Lock directly on key, though it may be an index table. This will just prevent a table
     * from getting rebuilt too often.
     */
    final boolean wasLocked = (rowLock != null);
    if (!wasLocked) {
        rowLock = region.getRowLock(key, true);
        if (rowLock == null) {
            throw new IOException("Failed to acquire lock on " + Bytes.toStringBinary(key));
        }
    }
    try {
        // Try cache again in case we were waiting on a lock
        table = (PTable)metaDataCache.getIfPresent(cacheKey);
        // We only cache the latest, so we'll end up building the table with every call if
the
        // client connection has specified an SCN.
        // TODO: If we indicate to the client that we're returning an older version, but there's
        // a newer version available, the client
        // can safely not call this, since we only allow modifications to the latest.
        if (table != null && table.getTimeStamp() < clientTimeStamp) {
            // Table on client is up-to-date with table on server, so just return
            if (isTableDeleted(table)) {
                return null;
            }
            return table;
        }
        // Query for the latest table first, since it's not cached
        table = buildTable(key, cacheKey, region, HConstants.LATEST_TIMESTAMP);
        if (table != null && table.getTimeStamp() < clientTimeStamp) {
            return table;
        }
        // Otherwise, query for an older version of the table - it won't be cached
        return buildTable(key, cacheKey, region, clientTimeStamp);
    } finally {
        if (!wasLocked) rowLock.release();
    }
}