From Lukáš Lalinský <lalin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix Query Server Avatica Upsert
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2016 07:37:23 GMT
On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 7:28 AM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:

> Lukás - your Python Query Server support would be a welcome addition to
> Phoenix or Avatica. Send us a pull request for a new module if you're
> interested.

I was considering that when I got the first working version, but I was not
sure how to best do it. Phoenix would probably be the better place for it,
since it's really specific to Phoenix (data types, etc.).

There is also the practical issue of having non-Java code in a mainly Java
project. For Python module to be easily installable, it should be uploaded
to PyPI (equivalent to Maven Central in the Java world) and that would have
to be a part of the release process. Or it could just live in the
repository, but have a separate release schedule, which would be easier to
manage.

Anyway, since the protobuf3 serialization is now the default in Phoenix, I
don't know if it makes sense anymore. That significantly complicates
packaging of the Python module, so I was planning to stick with JSON.

Lukas