Hi Willem,

Just to give you my short experience as phoenix user.

I'm using Phoenix4.4 on top of a HBase cluster where I keep 3 billion entries.

In our use case Phoenix is doing very well and it saved a lot of code complexity and time. If you guys have already decided that HBase is the way to go then having phoenix as a SQL layer it will help a lot, not only in terms of code simplicity but It will help you to create and maintain your indexes and views which can be hard&costly tasks using the plain HBase API. Joining tables it's just a simple SQL join :).

And there are a lot of more useful features that make your life easier with HBase.

In terms of performance and depending on the SLAs that you have you need to benchmark, however I think your main battles are going to be with HBase, JVM GCs, Network, FileSystem, etc...

I would say to give Phoenix a try, for sure.

Cheers
Pedro