From "Cox, Jonathan A" <ja...@sandia.gov>
Subject Confusion Installing Phoenix Spark Plugin / Various Errors
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 01:51:30 GMT
I am trying to get Spark up and running with Phoenix, but the installation instructions are
not clear to me, or there is something else wrong. I'm using Spark 1.5.2, HBase 1.1.2 and
Phoenix 4.6.0 with a standalone install (no HDFS or cluster) with Debian Linux 8 (Jessie)
x64. I'm also using Java 1.8.0_40.

The instructions state:

1.       Ensure that all requisite Phoenix / HBase platform dependencies are available on
the classpath for the Spark executors and drivers

2.       One method is to add the phoenix-4.4.0-client.jar to 'SPARK_CLASSPATH' in spark-env.sh,
or setting both 'spark.executor.extraClassPath' and 'spark.driver.extraClassPath' in spark-defaults.conf

First off, what are "all requisite Phoenix / HBase platform dependencies"? #2 suggests that
all I need to do is add  'phoenix-4.6.0-HBase-1.1-client.jar' to Spark's class path. But what
about 'phoenix-spark-4.6.0-HBase-1.1.jar' or 'phoenix-core-4.6.0-HBase-1.1.jar'? Do either
of these (or anything else) need to be added to Spark's class path?

Secondly, if I follow the instructions exactly, and add only 'phoenix-4.6.0-HBase-1.1-client.jar'
to 'spark-defaults.conf':
spark.executor.extraClassPath   /usr/local/phoenix/phoenix-4.6.0-HBase-1.1-client.jar
spark.driver.extraClassPath     /usr/local/phoenix/phoenix-4.6.0-HBase-1.1-client.jar
Then I get the following error when starting the interactive Spark shell with 'spark-shell':
15/12/08 18:38:05 WARN ObjectStore: Version information not found in metastore. hive.metastore.schema.verification
is not enabled so recording the schema version 1.2.0
15/12/08 18:38:05 WARN ObjectStore: Failed to get database default, returning NoSuchObjectException
15/12/08 18:38:05 WARN Hive: Failed to access metastore. This class should not accessed in
runtime.
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
                at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getAllDatabases(Hive.java:1236)

<console>:10: error: not found: value sqlContext
       import sqlContext.implicits._
              ^
<console>:10: error: not found: value sqlContext
       import sqlContext.sql

On the other hand, if I include all three of the aforementioned JARs, I get the same error.
However, if I include only the 'phoenix-spark-4.6.0-HBase-1.1.jar', spark-shell seems so launch
without error. Nevertheless, if I then try the simple tutorial commands in spark-shell, I
get the following:
Spark output: SQL context available as sqlContext.

scala >> import org.apache.spark.SparkContext
import org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext
import org.apache.phoenix.spark._

                                val sqlContext = new SQLContext(sc)

                                val df = sqlContext.load("org.apache.phoenix.spark", Map("table"
-> "TABLE1", "zkUrl" -> "phoenix-server:2181")

                Spark error:
                                java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/hbase/HBaseConfiguration
                at org.apache.phoenix.spark.PhoenixRDD.getPhoenixConfiguration(PhoenixRDD.scala:71)
                at org.apache.phoenix.spark.PhoenixRDD.phoenixConf$lzycompute(PhoenixRDD.scala:39)
                at org.apache.phoenix.spark.PhoenixRDD.phoenixConf(PhoenixRDD.scala:38)
                at org.apache.phoenix.spark.PhoenixRDD.<init>(PhoenixRDD.scala:42)
                at org.apache.phoenix.spark.PhoenixRelation.schema(PhoenixRelation.scala:50)
                at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.LogicalRelation.<init>(LogicalRelation.scala:37)
                at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.load(DataFrameReader.scala:120)

This final error seems similar to the one in mailing list post Phoenix-spark : NoClassDefFoundError:
HBaseConfiguration<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/phoenix-user/201511.mbox/ajax/%3CCAKwwsRSEJHkotiF28kzumDZM6kgBVeTJNGUoJnZcLiuEGCTjHQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
< http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/phoenix-user/201511.mbox/ajax/%3CCAKwwsRSEJHkotiF28kzumDZM6kgBVeTJNGUoJnZcLiuEGCTjHQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E>.
But the question does not seem to have been answered satisfactory. Also note, if I include
all three JARs, as he did, I get an error when launching spark-shell.

Can you please clarify what is the proper way to install and configure Phoenix with Spark?

Sincerely,
Jonathan