From "Thomas D'Silva" <tdsi...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: Questions: history of deleted records, controlling timestamps
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:37:05 GMT
John,

You can use a connection with a scn to ensure all changes are written
with the specified time stamp
https://phoenix.apache.org/faq.html#Can_phoenix_work_on_tables_with_arbitrary_timestamp_as_flexible_as_HBase_API

We are also working on transaction support using Tephra for the
upcoming 4.7 release. All changes within a transaction will either
complete successfully or fail. However we do not support adding
additional metadata to a transaction. Transactions also cannot be used
with the SCN feature.

Thanks,
Thomas

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 6:56 AM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net> wrote:
> Thanks Thomas!
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish with "a set of changes at the same timestamp" is several
things.  Basically I'm trying to implement a "versioned database" in which a set of changes
to tables are grouped into a "changeset" that we can tag with additional information:
> -- Associate changes across multiple tables (I know this could be done by adding an additional
index to the tables, but using timestamp for this purpose would kill two birds with one stone)
> -- Have a clear "transactionlike" event on which we can hang additional meta-data
> -- Make the set of changes all appear to have happened "at the same time"
> -- Hopefully, be able to undo all of the changes of a changeset.
>
> Thanks
> John

deleted data (See http://hbase.apache.org/0.94/book/cf.keep.deleted.html ) Could you describe
what you mean by making a set of changes at the same timestamp?