From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help tuning for bursts of high traffic?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 23:33:38 GMT
Thanks for the additional information, Zack. I'd like to confirm I
understand how you're using Phoenix:
- Data is not being upserted at the same time it is being queried. But I'm
confused by your statement of "and THEN some of the Hive data is send to
HBase/Phoenix". How is the data being sent? How much data? Is querying
occurring while this data is being ingested?
- Querying happens *after* any data ingest. "So, per-widget, I perform a
query against Phoenix". Are you determining duplicates through these
queries and then issuing a Phoenix DELETE of the duplicates?
- The CPUs you mention being pegged are the CPUs on the *client* machine:
"I see that, periodically – maybe every 60 or 90 seconds – all of my CPUs
(there are 8 on this machine) go from mildly busy to almost totally pegged".

If you could confirm the above, that'd be super helpful. I can't think of
any period process in Phoenix that runs every 60 or 90 seconds.

Some comments:
- 4.2.2 is a pretty old release at this point - we've up to 4.6.0 as our
last stable release. I'd recommend upgrading.
- If the problem is on the client-side, you should be able to profile the
Java application during the period of slowness and get us the details we
need to diagnose this.
- Phoenix executes a single query using many threads already, so your ~2000
thread calculations wouldn't be accurate. For a little bit more info on how
Phoenix parallelized queries, see
https://phoenix.apache.org/tuning.html#Parallelization. At a minimum,
Phoenix will execute one thread per region involved in your query. You can
control the level of parallelization through the
phoenix.stats.guidepost.width config parameter. If you want to minimize the
parallelization that Phoenix does, you can set this config parameter to a
very larger value in the server side hbase-site.xml. The default is
104857600 (or 10MB). If you set it to your MAX_FILESIZE (the size you allow
a region to grow to before it splits - default 20GB), then you're
essentially disabling it. You could also try increasing it somewhere in
between to maybe 5 or 10GB.
- Running 8 simultaneous instances on the same client will overload that
machine. Run them on separate client machines - but start with a single one
on one machine.