From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alter table - can't add column to table which has PK column type is VARBINARY
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:29:28 GMT
Correct - it has to do with the way we encode column values in the row key.
Since a VARBINARY can be any length with any bytes, we cannot know where it
ends. Thus we only allow it at the end of the row key. With a BINARY,
you're telling Phoenix how big it is, so it can occur anywhere in the PK
constraint. For more information, see PHOENIX-1223.