From Josh Harrison <joshharri...@coraxcyber.com>
Subject Re: JRuby on rails -> Phoenix connection error - cannot load java class
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 23:41:26 GMT

Thanks for your help and quick response Russell. This does seemed to have progressed things,
however I’m now getting the following error:

NameError: cannot link Java class org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver, probable missing
dependency: Could not initialize class org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver

Any further ideas?

Cheers,
Josh

> On 2 Dec 2015, at 11:37, Russell Jurney <russell.jurney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This seems like a class path problem. Try specifying the class path to the jar with that
class in it via: CLASSPATH=/foo/bar.jar jruby ...

> On Wednesday, December 2, 2015, Josh Harrison <joshharrison@coraxcyber.com <mailto:joshharrison@coraxcyber.com>>
wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We’re trying to spin up a testing version of Phoenix and integrate it with a Jruby
on rails application. I have Phoenix and Hbase successfully installed, configured and talking
to each other, but am coming up with a ‘cannot load java class’ error when trying to make
the connection to the rails server. I’m running this in standalone mode by the way for testing
purposes.

> The correct phoenix-server jars in are the classpath for the application.
>
> Any help or guidance you can give on the the connection would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Phoenix:  4.6
> HBase:  1.1.2
> JRuby: 1.7.19
>
> Error:
>
> NameError: cannot load Java class org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver
>                                 for_name at org/jruby/javasupport/JavaClass.java:1286
>                          get_proxy_class at org/jruby/javasupport/JavaUtilities.java:34
>                              java_import at file:/usr/local/rvm/rubies/jruby-1.7.19/lib/jruby.jar!/jruby/java/core_ext/object.rb:27
>
> ______________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Here’s my jdbc.rb connector:
>
> require 'java'
> java_import 'org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver'
>
> java_import 'java.sql.Connection'
> java_import 'java.sql.DriverManager'
> java_import 'java.sql.ResultSet'
> java_import 'java.sql.SQLException'
> java_import 'java.sql.PreparedStatement'
> java_import 'java.sql.Statement'
>
> Java::JavaClass.for_name "org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver"
> Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:phoenix://localhost:2181”)
>
> Related Gems in Gemfile:
>
> activerecord-jdbc-adapter
> jdbc-mysql
>

> More generally do you have many examples or use cases of OLTP rails applications connecting
to phoenix, as most examples I’ve found seem to be Java applications?

<mailto:russell.jurney@gmail.com> relato.io <http://relato.io/>