From Sachin Katakdound <sachin.katakdo...@gmail.com>
Subject Order by/limit clause on partitioned data
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2015 06:24:17 GMT
Let’s say we have a simple (phoenix table) data set.

create table ADDRESS(“id” NUMBER primary key,
	“city” VARCHAR,
	"state” VARCHAR,
	“zip”	VARCHAR) SALT_BUCKETS=4

And lets suppose there are 4 different region servers, and this data set is spread across
4 separate regions.

Now, the following query is run;
select * from ADDRESS order by “city” limit 15;

When this simple query with Order by and limit clause is executed, does it return a valid
data considering the fact that the data will be spread across 4 region servers?

I believe the query plan indicates “ordering on the server” and then limit clause on the
client.

Does this mean that 15 rows are gathered from each region server and then the limit clause
applied on the client?
How exactly is this query executed?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,