Shouldn't be a big challenge, the friction for porting back patches from a 1.1 based tree to a 1.0 based tree will be low. The exception will be anything touching Region/HRegion but those differences can be mostly handled with simple substitution.

For CDH users, note there's also https://github.com/chiastic-security/phoenix-for-cloudera, which has branches for the last two releases, should be informally maintained by the Phoenix community for a while, and lets you build Phoenix release binary compatible with CDH's version of HBase.