From Don Brinn <Don.Br...@D2L.com>
Subject Error "could not find hash cache for joinId" when doing Inner Join with any table or view with Multi_Tenant=true
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:08:48 GMT
Hi,

I am seeing the following error when doing an INNER JOIN of a view with MULTI_TENANT=true
with any other table or view:
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.phoenix.exception.PhoenixIOException: org.apache.phoenix.exception.PhoenixIOException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.DoNotRetryIOException: Could not find hash cache for joinId: Ys�0��%�.
The cache might have expired and have been removed.
        at org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.HashJoinRegionScanner.<init>(HashJoinRegionScanner.java:95)
        at org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.ScanRegionObserver.doPostScannerOpen(ScanRegionObserver.java:212)
        at org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.BaseScannerRegionObserver.postScannerOpen(BaseScannerRegionObserver.java:178)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.RegionCoprocessorHost.postScannerOpen(RegionCoprocessorHost.java:1931)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.scan(HRegionServer.java:3178)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.ClientProtos$ClientService$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientProtos.java:29994)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2078)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallRunner.run(CallRunner.java:108)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor.consumerLoop(RpcExecutor.java:114)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor$1.run(RpcExecutor.java:94)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

        at sqlline.IncrementalRows.hasNext(IncrementalRows.java:73)
        at sqlline.TableOutputFormat.print(TableOutputFormat.java:33)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.print(SqlLine.java:1653)
        at sqlline.Commands.execute(Commands.java:833)
        at sqlline.Commands.sql(Commands.java:732)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.dispatch(SqlLine.java:808)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.begin(SqlLine.java:681)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.start(SqlLine.java:398)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.main(SqlLine.java:292)

This is with Phoenix version 4.6.0 and HBase version 0.98.4.2.2.6.0-2800-hadoop2.

This seems very strongly related to the MULTI_TENANT=true property on a view or table.  I
see the error whenever the view has MULTI_TENANT=true and I have a tenant-specific connection
to Phoenix.  I do not see the problem if the MULTI_TENANT=true property is not set on the
view or if I do not have a tenant-specific connection to Phoenix.

Here is an example SQL statement that has this error when the view INVENTORY has the MULTI_TENANT=true
property and I have a tenant-specific connection, but that succeeds in other cases. (The view
PRODUCT_IDS is not Multi-Tenant.)
SELECT * FROM INVENTORY INNER JOIN PRODUCT_IDS ON (PRODUCT_ID = INVENTORY.ID)

Note:  “INNER JOIN” fails under these conditions, as does “LEFT OUTER JOIN”.  However,
“RIGHT OUTER JOIN” and “FULL OUTER JOIN” do work.  Also, if I tell Phoenix to use
a Sort Join for the Inner Join or Left Outer Join then it does work, e.g.  SELECT /*+ USE_SORT_MERGE_JOIN*/
* FROM INVENTORY INNER JOIN PRODUCT_IDS ON (PRODUCT_ID = INVENTORY.ID); works.