From Hemal Parekh <he...@bitscopic.com>
Subject Phoenix 4.4 does not accept null date value in bulk load
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 21:06:58 GMT
Hi,

We recently upgraded our production HDP cluster from 2.2 to 2.3.2. Phoenix
was upgraded from 4.2 to 4.4. The bulk load script using psql.py which was
working in Phoenix 4.2 stopped working in Phoenix 4.4. Upon investigation,
I found that psql.py was failing to upsert null value into a date column
which was working fine in Phoenix 4.2. It throws following error. The .csv
file has an empty string for a date column. To rule out any upgrade issue,
I created a temp table in Phoenix 4.4 and tried to insert a record using
psql.py but it failed giving below error for null date value.

*java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid format: ""*

create table temp1 (pk varchar, c1 varchar, c2 date, c3 integer, c4 varchar
constraint pk_temp1 primary key (pk))

Values used in .csv file: I ran psql.py separately with two different
records.

p1~abc~~1~x (this one gives error)

p2~abc~2015-11-24 00:00:00~1~x (this one is getting inserted fine)

Bulk load command:

/usr/hdp/current/phoenix-client/bin/psql.py -t TEMP1 -d '~' -s <my
host>:2181:/hbase-unsecure temp1_insert.csv

For column other than date type, psql.py can upsert null value.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Do I need to set any property in
hbase-site.xml to allow null value in date column?

Thanks,

Hemal Parekh
Senior Data Warehouse Architect
m. 240.449.4396