If you're trying to run locally on a Mac, see this thread: http://search-hadoop.com/m/9UY0h2s6mxw4Opgf2/%252Fetc%252Fhosts&subj=Re+testing+problem

On Saturday, October 31, 2015, Naor David <tron47@gmail.com> wrote:
run netstat -a 1 | grep "SYN_SENT" and check if port 2181 is blocked in your network..

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Steve Terrell <sterrell@oculus360.us> wrote:
OK, did some more troubleshooting.  Still can't run sqlline.py from my macbook laptop.  Still hangs.

My HBase cluster is an Amazon EMR, and I can run sqlline.py from any of nodes in the cluster, be they master, core, or task nodes.

So maybe it's not so much a remote host issue but a problem with my Mac or some kind of Amazon EMR security issue.  But, I've tried opening up all ports just in case something other than 2181 is required, and no luck.

Has anyone run this version of Phoenix on EMR and been able to use sqlline.py or SQuirreL client remotely from outside of AWS's private network?

(My ultimate goal was to get SQuirreL working, but though sqlline.py would be an easier problem to tackle.  SQuirreL is getting timeouts which I suspect are due to the same hanging that I see with sqlline.py.)

Thanks,
    Steve