From Sumit Nigam <sumit_o...@yahoo.com>
Subject Salting and pre-splitting
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 07:11:57 GMT
Hi,
I am somewhat confused by salting and pre-splitting. Would be grateful if any of you can clarify
the following:
1. Do I need to use pre-splitting along with salting to take advantage of performance? Or
I can still have single region server hot-spotting until I have enough regions to split into
2?2. Is it true that SALT_BUCKETS should be set to (number of region servers) * (number of
cores per region server) ?3. I cannot modify salt buckets after table is created. If so, what
happens when I add a new region server to the mix?4. Is number of buckets = number of task
splits that Phoenix InputFormat uses?5. Does salting create a hex rowkey as is recommended?6.
With salting, can I still perform range scans with LIMIT clause?
Thanks,Sumit