In order to connect to a kerberos-secured cluster from the query server, the query server must be configured to connect using the security credentials. This means all operations performed by that query server are performed using these credentials. See the security-related configs mentioned in the Configuration section [0] of the online docs.

I know there's interest in improving the state of things, but I'm not up to speed on what JIRAs have been filed in this regard.

[0]: http://phoenix.apache.org/server.html#Configuration