From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: setting up community repo of Phoenix for CDH5?
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:22:32 GMT
This is great James.

Since this is conveniently on Github, maybe we use the issue tracker there? Interested parties
can set a watch. Would you be willing to add 'apurtell' as a collaborator on the repo? I will
fork and send over PRs of course, but you might want help?

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 6:21 AM, James Heather <james.heather@mendeley.com> wrote:
>
> I've set up a repo at
>
> https://github.com/chiastic-security/phoenix-for-cloudera
>
> It is a fork of the vanilla Phoenix github mirror. I've created a branch called "4.5-HBase-1.0-cdh5",
which we can use for making a CDH5-compatible version. I've not made any of the necessary
changes so far.

> I chose that branch, by the way, because it's the latest release, and is using the same
version of HBase as CDH5.4. The master branch of the Phoenix repo is building a snapshot of
(the forthcoming) Phoenix 4.6, against HBase 1.1... presumably there will also be a Phoenix
4.6 for HBase 1.0?

> I'm not certain of the best way to manage this. Perhaps we need a new mailing list for
those who want to help, to avoid cluttering this list up.

> James
>
>> On 13/09/15 02:54, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:
>> Exact. There is some some code change because of what has been back ported into CDH
and what has not been. But overall, it should not be rocket science. Mostly method signatures...

>> Let us know when the repo is available so we can help...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> JM

>>> As explained here, there are some code changes too in addition to pom related
changes.

>>> http://stackoverflow.com/a/31934434/165130

in one shot                         after the builder activates the profile on the maven command
line with -P ...

be overridden on the maven command line with -D. That would be easy and something I think
we could get committed without any controversy.

still merge new Phoenix code into the CDH-compatible version.

to the                               main repo that would allow for compiling a CDH-compatible
version, without needing to maintain a separate repo. The bulk of the changes are to dependencies
in the pom, which suggests that it could be done to accept a switch to mvn build.

initialize it by forking github.com/apache/phoenix so we have common ancestors. Once we have
a clear idea (by diff) what is required we can figure out if we can support compatibility
in some way.

other threads on CDH-Phoenix compatibilty, it looks like there are some code changes to be
made in Phoenix to successfully compile against CDH.

available in a Maven repo somewhere, which I believe is the case, perhaps we (the Phoenix
project/community) could set up a Jenkins job that builds against them and makes the resulting
build artifacts available. They would never be an official release, just a best effort convenience.
Would that work? I think little must be done besides compile against the CDH artifacts for
binary compatibility.

up-to-date CDH5-compatible build of Phoenix up and running?

but this is now two versions behind, and there seems little desire at Cloudera to keep it
updated.

vanilla 4.3 and cloudera labs 4.3, and with some guidance from this list, we could get a good
idea of what would need to be modified in 4.5+ and keep a CDH5-compatible build up to date.