From Steve Howard <stevedhow...@gmail.com>
Subject Phoenix query server user authentication?
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:44:27 GMT
We are interested in using HBase as a backend solution for an SSO stack
that supports persistent backend stores with a JDBC interface.  We would
like to authenticate between the SSO server and the HBase store by using
the phoenix query server.

Goal:
---------

client --> SSO --> phoenix query server (https) --> LDAP --> If successful

                  phoenix query server (https) --> HBase (normal phoenix
connection to HBase)

The docs state it supports only an http transport between the client (SSO,
in this case) and the phoenix query server.  We are curious about two
things:

* Has any consideration been given to supporting https?
* Has any consideration been given to authenticating a user in the phoenix
query server, similar to what hive uses when it can be configured to
authenticate with LDAP?  This is outside of kerberos, this is just phoenix
reaching out to check a username/password combination

If we can't do this, I don't think it will pass governance testing.