From Jeffrey Lyons <Jeffrey.Ly...@d2l.com>
Subject RE: Can't add views on HBase tables after upgrade
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 12:56:04 GMT
Hey Samarth,

Thanks for looking into that for me! I can give you a bit more information about what I’m
doing.

We have view creation scripts that we use to create our schema when we spin up development
environments. These scripts also get run on upgrades to our main cluster if we need to add
new views. The views are created directly on our existing HBase tables.

These view creation scripts work fine in 4.4-HBase-0.98, but they use the unsupported method
you describe below, basically creating a view with a select statement directly over an HBase
table. When I upgraded to the new version they fail.

I guess if someone could either confirm that  “CREATE VIEW T_VIEW AS SELECT * FROM T;”
is unsupported, or point me to some docs that reiterate that, it would help my case to refactor
all the scripts to fit the supported format.

Thanks,
Jeff

From: Samarth Jain [mailto:samarth@apache.org]
Sent: September-14-15 7:32 PM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Can't add views on HBase tables after upgrade

Jeffrey,

Can you tell us how are creating your view over the existing HBase table? For example this
works for me:

HBase shell:
create 'T', 'f1', 'f2', 'f3'
Phoenix sql line:
create view T ("f1".col1 INTEGER)
Note that HBase shell is case sensitive. So we need to put the family name f1 in double quotes.

The below however isn't supported:
CREATE VIEW T_VIEW AS SELECT * FROM T;

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 8:00 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org<mailto:jamestaylor@apache.org>>