From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: setting up community repo of Phoenix for CDH5?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:07:34 GMT
Or once parameterized, add a default off profile that redefines them all in one shot after
the builder activates the profile on the maven command line with -P ...

> On Sep 11, 2015, at 7:05 AM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The group IDs and versions can be parameterized in the POM so they can be overridden
on the maven command line with -D. That would be easy and something I think we could get committed
without any controversy.

>> On Sep 11, 2015, at 6:53 AM, James Heather <james.heather@mendeley.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, my plan is to create a fork of the main repo, so that we can still merge new
Phoenix code into the CDH-compatible version.

>> Before that, I do wonder whether it's possible to suggest a few changes to the main
repo that would allow for compiling a CDH-compatible version, without needing to maintain
a separate repo. The bulk of the changes are to dependencies in the pom, which suggests that
it could be done to accept a switch to mvn build.

>> James
>>
>>> On 11/09/15 14:50, Andrew Purtell wrote:
>>> The first step I think is a repo with code that compiles. Please initialize it
by forking github.com/apache/phoenix so we have common ancestors. Once we have a clear idea
(by diff) what is required we can figure out if we can support compatibility in some way.

on CDH-Phoenix compatibilty, it looks like there are some code changes to be made in Phoenix
to successfully compile against CDH.

a Maven repo somewhere, which I believe is the case, perhaps we (the Phoenix project/community)
could set up a Jenkins job that builds against them and makes the resulting build artifacts
available. They would never be an official release, just a best effort convenience. Would
that work? I think little must be done besides compile against the CDH artifacts for binary
compatibility.

build of Phoenix up and running?

but this is now two versions behind, and there seems little desire at Cloudera to keep it
updated.

and cloudera labs 4.3, and with some guidance from this list, we could get a good idea of
what would need to be modified in 4.5+ and keep a CDH5-compatible build up to date.