From "Riesland, Zack" <Zack.Riesl...@sensus.com>
Subject How to force timeout when connection fails
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 18:51:21 GMT
If I use JDBC to DriverManager.getConnection("myPhoenixURL", myProperties), and HBase is down
(say, all the region servers are stopped), it takes a VERY long time to timeout.

In fact, I'm not sure it does. The flow just stops at that statement until I bring HBase back
to life.

I tried setting "phoenix.query.timeoutMs" and "phoenix.query.keepAliveMs" to 30000 (in the
properties passed when creating the connection), hoping that would force a timeout after 30
seconds, but it doesn't seem to help.

Can someone tell me how to force this to fail quickly, so that I can respond appropriately,
instead of basically getting stuck?

Thanks!