From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: setting up community repo of Phoenix for CDH5?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:05:30 GMT
The group IDs and versions can be parameterized in the POM so they can be overridden on the
maven command line with -D. That would be easy and something I think we could get committed
without any controversy.

> On Sep 11, 2015, at 6:53 AM, James Heather <james.heather@mendeley.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, my plan is to create a fork of the main repo, so that we can still merge new Phoenix
code into the CDH-compatible version.

> Before that, I do wonder whether it's possible to suggest a few changes to the main repo
that would allow for compiling a CDH-compatible version, without needing to maintain a separate
repo. The bulk of the changes are to dependencies in the pom, which suggests that it could
be done to accept a switch to mvn build.

> James
>
>> On 11/09/15 14:50, Andrew Purtell wrote:
>> The first step I think is a repo with code that compiles. Please initialize it by
forking github.com/apache/phoenix so we have common ancestors. Once we have a clear idea (by
diff) what is required we can figure out if we can support compatibility in some way.

>> On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:00 PM, Krishna <research800@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I can volunteer to spend some time on this.
>>>
>>> CDH artifacts are available in Maven repo but from reading other threads on CDH-Phoenix
compatibilty, it looks like there are some code changes to be made in Phoenix to successfully
compile against CDH.

>>> Here are questions to address:
>>> 1) How to maintain CDH compatible Phoenix code base?
>>> 2) Is having a CDH compatible branch even an option?
>>>
>>> Krishna

repo somewhere, which I believe is the case, perhaps we (the Phoenix project/community) could
set up a Jenkins job that builds against them and makes the resulting build artifacts available.
They would never be an official release, just a best effort convenience. Would that work?
I think little must be done besides compile against the CDH artifacts for binary compatibility.

build of Phoenix up and running?

                    but this is now two versions behind, and there seems little desire at
Cloudera to keep it updated.

cloudera labs 4.3, and with some guidance from this list, we could get a good idea of what
would need to be modified in 4.5+ and keep a CDH5-compatible build up to date.