From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: setting up community repo of Phoenix for CDH5?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 13:50:09 GMT
The first step I think is a repo with code that compiles. Please initialize it by forking github.com/apache/phoenix
so we have common ancestors. Once we have a clear idea (by diff) what is required we can figure
out if we can support compatibility in some way.

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:00 PM, Krishna <research800@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I can volunteer to spend some time on this.
>
> CDH artifacts are available in Maven repo but from reading other threads on CDH-Phoenix
compatibilty, it looks like there are some code changes to be made in Phoenix to successfully
compile against CDH.

> Here are questions to address:
> 1) How to maintain CDH compatible Phoenix code base?
> 2) Is having a CDH compatible branch even an option?
>
> Krishna
>

>> On Friday, August 28, 2015, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes I am interested. Assuming CDH artifacts are publicly available in a Maven repo
somewhere, which I believe is the case, perhaps we (the Phoenix project/community) could set
up a Jenkins job that builds against them and makes the resulting build artifacts available.
They would never be an official release, just a best effort convenience. Would that work?
I think little must be done besides compile against the CDH artifacts for binary compatibility.

>> > On Aug 28, 2015, at 11:19 AM, James Heather <james.heather@mendeley.com>
wrote:

>> > Is anyone interested in helping with getting an up-to-date CDH5-compatible build
of Phoenix up and running?

>> > Cloudera has a build of Phoenix 4.3 (https://github.com/cloudera-labs/phoenix),
but this is now two versions behind, and there seems little desire at Cloudera to keep it
updated.

>> > I imagine that by looking at the differences between vanilla 4.3 and cloudera
labs 4.3, and with some guidance from this list, we could get a good idea of what would need
to be modified in 4.5+ and keep a CDH5-compatible build up to date.