From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: REG: Getting the current value of a sequence
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2015 17:59:08 GMT
Hi Satya,
You can do a NEXT VALUE FOR in a SELECT clause without a from clause like
this:
    SELECT NEXT VALUE FOR my_seq;

This will allocate a block of sequences from the server (as determined by
the CACHE clause when you create the sequence), cache them on the client,
and dole them out as NEXT VALUE FOR calls are made.

If you need to prefetch a guaranteed contiguous block of sequences, you may
do this:
    SELECT NEXT 1000 VALUES FOR my_seq;

This call would immediately use all 1000 values, so the next call to NEXT
VALUE FOR or NEXT VALUES FOR would start from at least 1001.

Thanks,
James