From Sumanta Gh <sumanta...@tcs.com>
Subject Re: Poor SELECT performance in wide table
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:54:35 GMT
I am using Standalone HBase version 0.98.8 and Phoenix 4.2.2.
There are 20 static columns in that table. Rowkey is comprised of three columns.
Each row can have 0 to 50 dynamic columns. There is only a single column family.

In the select query, I am using all the row key columns in the where clause and in the same
order how they are defined in table.
There are around 5,00,000 records.

The query time of searching an exact row with all static+dynamic columns is around 3 sec as
shown in SQLLine.
When I select a single column, the time drops to as less as 300ms.

It would have been great if I could share the exact schema and query. But I am really in hurry
for a weekend to mask the schema/query before sending.
I believe this scenario must have been caught by others also. Pls let me know.

Regards
Sumanta

-----James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote: -----
To: user <user@phoenix.apache.org>
From: James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
Date: 07/30/2015 03:13AM
Subject: Re: Poor SELECT performance in wide table

Hi Sumanta,
Would it be possible to get more detail? Phoenix/HBase version, schema, queries? Where are
you finding the bottlenecks to be?
Thanks,
James

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Sumanta Gh <sumanta.gh@tcs.com> wrote:
Hi All,
Have anyone noticed that with the increasing number of columns (static/dynamic) the performance
of SELECT query linearly degrades even if I mention all row key columns in the query.

Any comments on this is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Sumanta
and any attachments. Thank you