From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TIME/DATE/TIMESTAMP questions
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:47:43 GMT
Hi Lukáš,
Yes, your correct, our TIME type in Phoenix is non standard (see
PHOENIX-868). If possible, I'd stick to using the DATE type. The underlying
data is stored to the millisecond granularity (even if your SQL client may
only display the date part of it). Most SQL clients have a way of
displaying the full granularity. Another workaround might be to use our mod
operator on a long value and cast it to a TIME to normalize them when you
input the data (though I haven't tried this):

UPSERT INTO T(time_col) VALUES(CAST (? % 86400000 AS TIME));

It'd be good to fix this, but we'd need to do this in a major release and
have a good story around existing schemas using TIME. One approach might be
to "invent" a new SQL type for our wonky TIME type and migrate existing
schemas to use this new type. Comments on that JIRA are welcome (as are
patches). As we get further in our Phoenix/Calcite integration, it might be
a good opportunity to do this in that branch.

Thanks,
James