What is the major driver to not use the HDP bundled Phoenix?

It seems to me that the Phoenix version you have is not compatible with the underlying HBase version, leading to all these issues. In particular, the method getCatalogTracker in HDP-2.2 works only with 1 argument, but in Phoenix versions from the open source, it works with 0 arguments. This has been taken care of in the-yet-to-be-released HDP-2.3 (the HBase/Phoenix code both supports/uses the 0 argument getCatalogTracker).

From: Perko, Ralph J <Ralph.Perko@pnnl.gov>
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 10:28 AM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: RE: hbase / phoenix errors

Thank you for the response

I am using Phoenix 4.3 as a separate installation.

Unfortunately I have no way to copy the actual log files so I will need to transcribe as much as I can.

There are a lot of things going on – I’ll try to provide the highlights

Right now:

Using ambari – everything on the cluster is green – there are no apparent issues (but there are many)

On the hbase master web site it shows a table split hung up (all red – “regions in transition”) since yesterday evening.

All my phoenix tables are setup as follows:

Salted

100GB hregion max file size

Constant split size policy

If I attempt to connect to Phoenix using sqlline it get the exception:

NotServingRegionException:Region SYSTEM.CATALOG is not online

If I run hbase shell I can list the tables but cannot scan any of them

RS Log Messages:

Aside from the messages I provided earlier some errors and exceptions have come up as well on the RS:

In order I believe:

ERROR StatsScanner failed to update stats table

ERROR largeCompaction Compaction Failed

ERROR largeCompaction Failed after attempt 350 – ConnectionRefused – this server is in the failed servers list

Coprocessor.CoprocessorHost: the coprocessor …LocalIndexSplitter threw an exception

NoSuchMethodError hbase.regionserver.RegionServerService.getCatalogTracker

HRegion: compaction interrupted InterruptedOException

RuntimeException: HRegionServer aborted

Restart

ERROR RS_LOG_REPLAY wal.HLogSplitter  OutOFMemory

Restart

Many of these: RemoteException (LeaseExpiredException) Holder: DFSCLient…recovered.edits…: File does not exist

Many java.net.ConnectionException: Connection refused

Java.net.ConnectionException SocketTimeoutException … row ‘’ on table ‘hbase.meta’

This is where we are today

I will provide whatever info you need

Thanks!

Ralph