From ashish tapdiya <ashishtapd...@gmail.com>
Subject Phoenix tracing
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 20:53:15 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to setup tracing following the steps specified on the Phoenix
webpage,
http://phoenix.apache.org/tracing.html

Below are the steps I have followed,

1. On the client, property files (hadoop-metrics2-phoenix.properties and
hadoop-metrics2-hbase.properties) came configured  with the distribution
and are on the classpath.

2. On the server nodes (master + slaves), appended following to the
/usr/lib/hbase/conf/hadoop-metrics2-hbase.properties file,

# ensure that we receive traces on the server
hbase.sink.tracing.class=org.apache.phoenix.trace.PhoenixMetricsSink
# Tell the sink where to write the metrics
hbase.sink.tracing.writer-class=org.apache.phoenix.trace.PhoenixTableMetricsWriter
# Only handle traces with a context of "tracing"
hbase.sink.tracing.context=tracing

3. Added the following property to the client's hbase-site.xml
<configuration>
  <property>
	<name>phoenix.trace.frequency</name>
    <value>always</value>
  </property>
</configuration>

4. Created the SYSTEM.TRACING_STATS table using,

CREATE TABLE *SYSTEM.TRACING_STATS* (
      *trace_id* BIGINT NOT NULL,
      *parent_id* BIGINT NOT NULL,
      *span_id* BIGINT NOT NULL,
      *description* VARCHAR,
      *start_time* BIGINT,
      *end_time* BIGINT,
      *hostname* VARCHAR,
      *tags.count* SMALLINT,
      *annotations.count* SMALLINT,
      CONSTRAINT pk PRIMARY KEY (*trace_id, parent_id, span_id*)

5. Restarted cluster

However, after running queries from the client, SYSTEM.TRACING_STATS
table returns 0 rows.

I am using cloudera distribution 5.3.2 with

Hadoop  Ver: 2.5.0
HBase Ver: 0.98.6

Phoenix Ver: 4.3.0

Thanks,