From Marek Wiewiorka <marek.wiewio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hive external table
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 20:05:46 GMT
Hi Nicolas - thanks for your response!

Where can I find the latest branch - I used master from this repo:
https://github.com/nmaillard/Phoenix-Hive
and it is built againts 4.2.2 - I changed dependency in pom and tried to
build it using 4.3 I got series of errors like these:
[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[29,33]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: package org.apache.phoenix.schema
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[93,19]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: class org.apache.phoenix.hive.util.HiveConfigurationUtil
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[102,19]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: class org.apache.phoenix.hive.util.HiveConfigurationUtil
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[116,19]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: class org.apache.phoenix.hive.util.HiveConfigurationUtil
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[128,19]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: class org.apache.phoenix.hive.util.HiveConfigurationUtil
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[164,19]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: class org.apache.phoenix.hive.util.HiveConfigurationUtil
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/util/HiveConfigurationUtil.java:[216,13]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: class org.apache.phoenix.hive.util.HiveConfigurationUtil
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/PhoenixMetaHook.java:[41,33]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class PDataType
  location: package org.apache.phoenix.schema
[ERROR]
/home/mw/Phoenix-Hive/src/main/java/org/apache/phoenix/hive/PhoenixSerde.java:[41,33]
cannot find symbol

Could you also please advise how should I define an external table in Hive
using Phoenix-hive for a table created in Phoenix as follows:

create table se_dwh.homes_usage_hour
(hu_ts time not null ,
hu_ho_id integer not null ,
hu_stream_id integer not null,
hu_usage double constraint pk PRIMARY KEY(hu_ts,hu_ho_id,hu_stream_id) );

I'm not sure how to set mapping columns correctly - I tried something like
this:
CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE phx_usage_hour(
     hu_ts timestamp,
    hu_ho_id int,
    hu_stream_id int,
    hu_usage double)
STORED BY  "org.apache.phoenix.hive.PhoenixStorageHandler"
TBLPROPERTIES(
    'phoenix.hbase.table.name'='se_dwh.homes_usage_hour',
    'phoenix.zookeeper.znode.parent'='hbase-unsecure',
    'phoenix.rowkeys'='hu_ts,hu_ho_id,hu_stream_id'
);

It was created without a problem - but when I run a simple query:

hive> select * from phx_usage_hour limit 1;
OK
Failed with exception
java.io.IOException:org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.hadoop.io.Text cannot be cast to
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.io.TimestampWritable
Time taken: 0.084 seconds

I compiled your project using Phoenix 4.2.2 but I got 4.3 version installed
in HBase - could it be the root cause of the exception ?

Thanks!
Marek