From Mark Tse <Mark....@D2L.com>
Subject RE: PhoenixIOException: The system cannot find the path specified
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 17:33:14 GMT
The exception was thrown in `SpoolingResultIterator.SpoolingResultIterator(ResultIterator scanner,
MemoryManager mm, int thresholdBytes, long maxSpoolToDisk, String spoolDirectory)`.

The parameter spoolDirectory was '/tmp', which is the default value, and did not exist on
the environment I was working in. The default value is declared and set in 'org.apache.phoenix.query.
QueryServicesOptions'.

To override the value, I created an 'hbase-site.xml' config file (as per http://phoenix.apache.org/tuning.html),
and added it to the class path. I added the following property inside <configuration>...</configuration>:
  <property>
    <name>phoenix.spool.directory</name>
    <value>"directory"</value>
  </property>

Not fully sure what's happening in the background, but I'm guessing a 'SELECT *' utilizes
the spool directory, but adding 'LIMIT' does not (possibly because it doesn't know the upper
bound of records coming back, and so uses disk to buffer).

Mark

From: Mark Tse [mailto:Mark.Tse@D2L.com]
Sent: February-03-15 3:09 PM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: PhoenixIOException: The system cannot find the path specified

Hi there,

I am getting the following exception when trying to run a "SELECT * FROM TABLE_NAME" statement
using the build #578 on Phoenix master (https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/Phoenix-master/578/artifact/):
org.apache.phoenix.exception.PhoenixIOException: The system cannot find the path specified
org.apache.phoenix.util.ServerUtil.parseServerException() ServerUtil.java:108
org.apache.phoenix.iterate.BaseResultIterators.getIterators() BaseResultIterators.java:538
org.apache.phoenix.iterate.ConcatResultIterator.getIterators() ConcatResultIterator.java:50
org.apache.phoenix.iterate.ConcatResultIterator.currentIterator() ConcatResultIterator.java:97
org.apache.phoenix.iterate.ConcatResultIterator.next() ConcatResultIterator.java:117
org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixResultSet.next() PhoenixResultSet.java:764

A similar query, "SELECT * FROM TABLE_NAME LIMIT 100000", does not throw the error, and appears
to successfully display all the data in TABLE_NAME.

Would anyone happen to know what the problem might be?

Thanks,
[Title: Brightspace by D2L Logo - Description: Link to www.Brightspace.com (Brightspace by
D2L homepage).]<http://www.brightspace.com/>
Mark Tse
QA Developer
D2L Corporation
519-772-0325
www.brightspace.com<http://www.brightspace.com>

[Title: Twitter Icon - Description: Link to Twitter feed for Brightspace by D2L]<https://twitter.com/Brightspace>[Title:
Facebook Icon - Description: Link to Brightspace by D2L Facebook page]<https://www.facebook.com/Brightspace>
[Title: LinkedIn Icon - Description: Link to D2L LinkedIn site] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/d2l>
 [Title: YouTube Icon - Description: Link to Brightspace by D2L on YouTube] <https://www.youtube.com/user/BrightspacebyD2L>
 [Title: Contact Icon - Description: Link to D2L's Web site contact page] <http://www.d2l.com/contact>

D2L is hiring! Make learning more pervasive, perceptive, and personalized for the entire world:
www.D2L.com/Careers<http://www.D2L.com/Careers>