From Puneet Kumar Ojha <puneet.ku...@pubmatic.com>
Subject RE: Salt buckets optimization
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:57:38 GMT
Yes you can have more salt buckets than no of regions servers. Salt buckets specififed will
create thoe many number of regions.

Depending upon what regions size is optimal –(dependent on table data) you need to opt the
salt bucket numbers.

From: Vamsi Krishna [mailto:vamsi.attluri@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 11:25 AM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Salt buckets optimization

Can we have more no of salt buckets than the no of region servers?
According to Phoenix documentation, I've read "For optimal performance, number of salt buckets
should match number of region servers".
http://phoenix.apache.org/performance.html

In our case, we are evaluating on a small cluster with two region servers and we are observing
better performance with 10 salt buckets compared to 2 salt buckets and 20 salt buckets.

Could someone please explain what's happening behind the scenes?

Thanks,
Vamsi Attluri.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Puneet Kumar Ojha <puneet.kumar@pubmatic.com<mailto:puneet.kumar@pubmatic.com>>