From "Ciureanu, Constantin (GfK)" <Constantin.Ciure...@gfk.com>
Subject RE: Update statistics made query 2-3x slower
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:34:30 GMT
Hello Mujtaba,

Don’t worry – it was just the select count(*) from tableX that was slowed down in a more
than visible way.
I presume all the regular queries do actually benefit from using the STATS.

Some other cases where I saw slowdown for “select count(*) from tableX”:

-       First time after loading 6 M records – the time to obtain the count was ~30 sec

-       After loading the same 6 M records again – the time almost doubled ☹ I imagine
the data is doubled, not yet compacted in HBase

-       After deleting the 6M rows (delete from …. , not truncate) and loading the 6M rows
again – the same double time – same comment as above

-       After update statistics tableX – the time was around 2x the original time (~60 seconds)
– this I couldn’t really explain (perhaps the fleet I use is undersized)

I need to mention that I’m using 4.2.2 but I can’t wait for 4.3 to be released (as it
will fix some issues I have. Eg. one with SKIP SCAN:
[1st part of PK between A and B] or [first part of PK between C and D] or [….] was understood
as a full table scan = painfully slow -> but this worked today after I used a hint in the
SELECT /*+ SKIP_SCAN */ which shouldn’t be mandatory in my opinion).

Regards,
  Constantin