We do that.  For the most part, it is easy.  Bytes.toBytes works for most of the data types if you are using the UNSIGNED_* variety.  If not, we were using the API for the Phoenix Data types.  I don't know about salting specifically.

Also, i believe that Phoenix now has an OutputFormat in the latest version that might help.

Abe