From anil gupta <anilgupt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix in production
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 07:18:36 GMT
Hi Siddharth,

I have used Phoenix in production for more than a year at Intuit.(i no
longer work there.) I was pretty happy with Phoenix because it provided us
capability to use sql-like(JDBC compliant) querying on a NoSql DB. With
help of Phoenix, the adoption rate of HBase in my team was much more faster
and it makes it very easy to read data from HBase Table.(without Phoenix, i
personally used to write java programs for queries with complex filters.or
non-string columns).

Following are the some of the challenges i faced while using Phoenix:
1. Connecting to secure HBase cluster.
2. Phoenix creating big files under /tmp folder when a "select *" type
query is done.
3. Phoenix only used to work with SQuirreL(GUI based DB client)
<http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/>

I know for sure that #1 and #3 are addressed. There was jira for #2, i m
not sure whats the status of it right now.

Obviously,i haven't used all the features of Phoenix. So, i would suggest
you to do your own evaluation(POC) and take guidance from the Phoenix
community if you are planning to use any specific feature. This community
is quite active.

Hope This Helps,
Anil Gupta
<http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/>