From Jaime Solano <jdjsol...@gmail.com>
Subject Phoenix UPSERTS SELECT for data transformation
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:50:17 GMT
Hi guys,

The company I work for wants to use Phoenix for Data Transformation.
Basically, the idea is to denormalize and include additional calculated
data to a details table, by using UPSERT SELECT statements (joins with
other tables and specific functions). This has proven to be challenging,
since the SQL language sometimes is not enough, leading us to try implement
our own built-in Phoenix functions (following this post:
http://phoenix-hbase.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-add-your-own-built-in-function.html
).

I feel this is not the right direction, and maybe we should be using other
tools like Pig, MR or Storm (for Near-Real Time).

What are your thoughts about this? Would you recommend Phoenix for complex
Data transformation? What a re the drawbacks you see in this approach?

Thanks in advance,
-Jaime