From Jesse Yates <jesse.k.ya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Select dynamic column content
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 17:43:09 GMT
You wouldn't even need another table, just a single VARCHAR[] column to
keep the column names. Its ideal to keep it in the same row (possibly in
another cf if you expect it to be large) since you get ACID compliance on
that row, which you wouldn't get from using another table. You then just
upsert the names column at the same time you upsert the dynamic columns.

Phoenix does something similar for tracing where there is an unknown number
of annotations - we keep a trace annotation count column which then can be
used to figure out the dynamic annotation column names (which are things
like annotations.a0, .a1, .a2, etc)

The downside is that you then need to do two queries to get all the
columns, but until we implement the cf.* logic for dynamic columns, that's
the best you can do.

- jesse