From Siddharth Ubale <siddharth.ub...@syncoms.com>
Subject RE: Phoenix in production
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 07:26:40 GMT
Hi Anil,

Thanks a lot for sharing ur thoughts.
Have you tried using Phoenix API along with Apache Storm?
There is a storm RDBMS connector implementation , but it was last updated in 2012 and I am
having problems with it.
Any thoughts on Storm-Phoenix integration?

Thanks,
Siddharth ubale

From: anil gupta [mailto:anilgupta84@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 12:49 PM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Cc: James Taylor
Subject: Re: Phoenix in production

Hi Siddharth,
I have used Phoenix in production for more than a year at Intuit.(i no longer work there.)
I was pretty happy with Phoenix because it provided us capability to use sql-like(JDBC compliant)
querying on a NoSql DB. With help of Phoenix, the adoption rate of HBase in my team was much
more faster and it makes it very easy to read data from HBase Table.(without Phoenix, i personally
used to write java programs for queries with complex filters.or non-string columns).
Following are the some of the challenges i faced while using Phoenix:
1. Connecting to secure HBase cluster.
2. Phoenix creating big files under /tmp folder when a "select *" type query is done.
3. Phoenix only used to work with SQuirreL(GUI based DB client)<http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/>
I know for sure that #1 and #3 are addressed. There was jira for #2, i m not sure whats the
status of it right now.
Obviously,i haven't used all the features of Phoenix. So, i would suggest you to do your own
evaluation(POC) and take guidance from the Phoenix community if you are planning to use any
specific feature. This community is quite active.

Hope This Helps,
Anil Gupta

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Siddharth Ubale <siddharth.ubale@syncoms.com<mailto:siddharth.ubale@syncoms.com>>