hi ,
i am also facing similar type problem

1) this is the command
psql.py -t tablename  -d '\t'  hostname   /home/hadoop/staging/ord_smry.csv

2) OS is cent os

3)Error :

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid single character: '\t'
    at org.apache.phoenix.util.PhoenixRuntime$ExecutionCommand.getCharacter(PhoenixRuntime.java:527)
    at org.apache.phoenix.util.PhoenixRuntime$ExecutionCommand.parseArgs(PhoenixRuntime.java:485)
    at org.apache.phoenix.util.PhoenixRuntime.main(PhoenixRuntime.java:153)

Version of Phoenix is 4.1

Regards
Dastagiri