From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: phoenix client and server versions
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:06:49 GMT
Hi Abe,
Our backward compatibility story between client and server is
evolving. Our model to date has been:
1) update the server Phoenix jar first with the new release. Clients
one minor release back will continue to work with the new server jar
(this is the scenario for which we test).
2) upgrade *all* client versions to the new Phoenix jar

If there's any upgrade code that needs to run, it will run at step
(2), the first time a new client connects to the cluster. It's
possible that the upgrade code would make a change such that the older
clients would no longer work. An example is between 4.1 and 4.2 in
which the sequence table was salted to improve performance. Once it's
salted (i.e. first time any 4.2 client connects with the 4.2 server),
then sequences in 4.1 clients will no longer work. FWIW, you can set
the client-side phoenix.sequence.saltBuckets to 0 in your
hbase-sites.xml and this particular upgrade will not take place (nor
will you get the performance gain, of course).

There's a desire to improve this story and support mixed old/new
client versions against a new server. Perhaps the biggest effort here
will be to setup the tests to ensure that this works. It'll also
constrain the kind of upgrades possible in a minor release. I've filed
PHOENIX-1483 to further discuss.

Thanks,
James