From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bulk loading with dynamic columns
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 06:53:46 GMT
Bob,

Going via Scalding sounds like a fine idea as well -- the advantage of
using Pig is that you wouldn't need to implement anything custom in
terms of JDBC handling (because it already exists), but indeed I would
expect that you'll get comparable performance with Scalding.

If you want to generate HFiles, I would indeed look at extending (or
reusing parts of) the CsvBulkLoadTool, which currently creates HFiles.
However, I would definitely only go this way as a fallback if JDBC
performance isn't sufficient.

I actually never really considered a CSV file being dynamic, I was
more thinking along the lines of loading CSV files with different
schemas into the same table (via dynamic columns). If it's at all an
option, I would suggest splitting out records by schema first in a
pre-processing stage, and then loading the collection of files that
match a single schema together. CSV is a fine format for really simple
schemas, but I don't think it would be at all suited to storing
records with different schemas.

- Gabriel