I don't think so, because it is intentional and this why Phoenix is able manage the performance. They are putting some coprocessors to handle the queries in distributed manner. Thier coprocessor work very closely with HBase native API to speed up things.

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/resources/library/hbasecon/hbasecon-2013--how-and-why-phoenix-puts-the-sql-back-into-nosql-video.html