From Prakash Hosalli <prakash.hosa...@syncoms.com>
Subject RE: Hive or Phoenix
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 06:28:11 GMT
Hi James/Anil,

	Regarding the questions you put forward,

1.	Yes we will stored data in Hbase,
2.	Hive will run over Hbase.
3.	We will be using large amount of data (approximately 10 Million of rows/daily to be process).

4.	Right now we have both options open, but primarily we plan to use Hive table to serve client
request/query on aggregated data.
5.	We plan to employ all type of query & we plan to achieve high level of low latency.

	If I understand correctly phoenix will just connect to Hbase securely & rely on the Hbase
API to extract query reply, therefore Phoenix will depend on security mechanisms employed
by Hbase API & will not provide any security feature by itself.

	Kindly correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks & Regards,
Prakash Hosalli

-----Original Message-----
From: James Taylor [mailto:jamestaylor@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 11:56 PM
To: user; anil gupta
Subject: Re: Hive or Phoenix

Hi Prakash,
If possible, it'd be helpful if you could describe your use case a bit.

Some questions I'd have for you: is the data over which you'd query stored in HBase? And if
so, would the Hive run over the HBase data? Is the data read-only or does it mutate? How much
data are we talking about (approximately) and what would your typical queries be: point look-ups,
range scans, or full table scans?

As far as security, HBase provides some more fine grained mechanisms as well which you could
leverage through HBase APIs. Other than the ability to connect to a secure cluster through
the connection URL, Phoenix doesn't yet provide a SQL wrapper on these HBase APIs. This is
how Intuit is leveraging Phoenix + security in HBase. Anil Gupta can likely tell you more.

Thanks,
James