From Vikas Agarwal <vi...@infoobjects.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix is changing the meta-information of HBase tables
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2014 06:05:01 GMT
I don't think so, because it is intentional and this why Phoenix is able
manage the performance. They are putting some coprocessors to handle the
queries in distributed manner. Thier coprocessor work very closely with
HBase native API to speed up things.

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/resources/library/hbasecon/hbasecon-2013--how-and-why-phoenix-puts-the-sql-back-into-nosql-video.html

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM, Arbi Akhina <arbi.akhina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to use Apache Phoenix <http://phoenix.apache.org/> to run
>> SQL queries on HBase tables. Based on the official documetation
>> <http://phoenix.apache.org/#schema>, a schema need to be created for
>> existing tables with the SQL query:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE TABLE_NAME (....)
>>
>>  I tried to avoid this by directly connecting to an existing table
>> (created with HBase API) through the phoenix API but I was getting
>> exceptions. The thing is when Phoenix executes this query, it creates a lot
>> of things on the table. For instance, in the *tables* section of the
>> hbase dashboard, I can see the following meta-data added by phoenix to my
>> table:
>>
>> 'QUOTES', {METHOD => 'table_att', coprocessor$1 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.ScanRegionObserver|1|',
coprocessor$2 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.UngroupedAggregateRegionObserver|1|',
coprocessor$3 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.GroupedAggregateRegionObserver|1|', coprocessor$4
=> '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.ServerCachingEndpointImpl|1|', coprocessor$5 =>
'|org.apache.phoenix.hbase.index.Indexer|1073741823|index.builder=org.apache.phoenix.index.PhoenixIndexBuilder,org.apache.hadoop.hbase.index.codec.class=org.apache.phoenix.index.PhoenixIndexCodec'},
{NAME => '0', DATA_BLOCK_ENCODING => 'FAST_DIFF', KEEP_DELETED_CELLS => 'true'}

--
Regards,
Vikas Agarwal

InfoObjects, Inc.