From Jan Van Besien <janvanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multi tenancy
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:07:32 GMT
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:
> Yes, this works as designed. Would you mind filing a JIRA for us to enhance
> our multi tenant docs, as it sounds like it's unclear?

I created the jira ticket and some progress has already been made,
happy about that ;-)

However, I still have the impression that there are some things which
do not work as expected. Here is a first testcase which triggers what
looks like a bug to me. I would expect this to work, but the last
statement fails (upsert and commit) with
org.apache.phoenix.schema.TableNotFoundException: ERROR 1012 (42M03):
Table undefined. tableName=TEST

Note that just before, I execute a select query on the same table.

Thanks for looking into this,
Jan

    @Test
    public void phoenixMultiTenancyTest() throws Exception {
        HBaseTestingUtility testUtil = new HBaseTestingUtility();
        testUtil.startMiniCluster();

        String globalUrl = "jdbc:phoenix:localhost:" +
testUtil.getConfiguration().get("hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort");
        Connection globalConn = DriverManager.getConnection(globalUrl);

        Statement stmt = globalConn.createStatement();
        stmt.execute("CREATE TABLE test (tenant_id VARCHAR not null,
id bigint not null, " +
                "first_name varchar constraint pk primary
key(tenant_id, id)) MULTI_TENANT=true");

        stmt.execute("upsert into test values('jan', 1, 'a')");
        stmt.execute("upsert into test values('bruno', 1, 'b')");
        globalConn.commit();

        String tenantUrl = globalUrl + ";TenantId=jan";
        Connection tenantConn = DriverManager.getConnection(tenantUrl);
        Statement tenantStmt = tenantConn.createStatement();

        // this works and is correctly limited to only data for tenant "jan"
        ResultSet rs = tenantStmt.executeQuery("select id, first_name
from test");
        Assert.assertTrue(rs.next());
        Assert.assertEquals("1", rs.getString(1));
        Assert.assertEquals("a", rs.getString(2));
        Assert.assertFalse(rs.next());

        // this fails with TableNotFoundException
        tenantStmt.execute("upsert into test values (2, 'b')");
        tenantConn.commit();
    }