From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix and Cloudera
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2014 16:30:27 GMT
Thanks for the positive feedback, Mike. I wouldn't counter this
argument, I'd agree with it. The more Cloudera customers that ask for
Phoenix to be included in the distribution, the more likely it is to
be included. Some good news, though - Cloudera just released 5.1 which
should work fine with Phoenix now as it's based on HBase 0.98 instead
of 0.96.

Also, FWIW, Phoenix is included in the Hortonworks 2.1 distribution.

Thanks,
James

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Mike Friedman <Mike.Friedman@ds-iq.com> wrote:
> Phoenix's performance is great. The JDBC driver is very convenient for programming and
allows use of existing tools such as DB Visualizer. However, since Phoenix is not a component
of the Cloudera distribution of Hadoop (CDH), there is always the risk that the latest version
of CDH will break Phoenix. Such is the case with CDH 5.0, which contains HBase 0.96 in contrast
to Phoenix's dependency on HBase 0.98. Therefore it is safer to use a technology that is included
in CDH. An organization that is using CDH and upgrades CDH as the new CDH versions come out
always runs the risk that Phoenix is out of sync and broken. How would one counter this argument?