From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: setReadOnly
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:19:09 GMT
Hi Dan,

I've encountered a similar scenario with
Connection.setTransactionIsolation, which also throws a
SQLFeatureNotSupportedException. On the one hand, it's definitely
annoying to have little things like this getting in the way, but on
the other hand I'm not crazy about the idea of just logging a warning
for these features. An application may be doing things that are
actually dependent on these settings working, so I prefer the idea of
failing fast.

One idea might be to have a connection setting called
"ignoreUnsupportedFeatures" or something like that, and if it was set
to true then a warning could be logged instead of throwing
SQLFeatureNotSupportedException in case something like setReadOnly was
called. I think that would give a good balance of allowing getting
around this issue without sacrificing too much in correctness.

What do you think?

- Gabriel