From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to implement custom datatypes
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 17:10:26 GMT
Hi Faisal,
Thanks for sharing that document - it's very interesting. Sounds like a
good use case for a STRUCT (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-477), but we don't have
support for that yet.

You could continue down the path you're going by implementing your own data
type, but none of the SQL tooling would know how to interpret your type.
Have you considered flattening your data model into primitives? It's not as
elegant, but instead of passing a struct through to your built-in
functions, you could for example pass in the primitives (or arrays). This
might be sufficient for understanding the best HBase schema design and
benchmarking over various row key designs.

Regards,
James