From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: json extract functions
Date Thu, 15 May 2014 06:31:21 GMT
Can you tell us more about your use case? Is the JSON deeply nested or
mostly flat?  It wouldn't be difficult to create some built-in functions to
extract JSON from a VARCHAR field, but performance wouldn't be ideal.

My gut tells me that JSON would be handled higher up in the stack, through
translating JSON to a table structure on the way in and then back to JSON
from a result sets on the way out.

Some ideas I have on JSON would be to:
1) Implement the concept of a STRUCT
2) Map the JSON to a STRUCT
3) Support functional indexes so that parts of a STRUCT could be indexed.

Unfortunately, none of these are implemented yet. Would be great for
someone to step in and own this area.

Thanks,
James